Frequently Asked Questions
What is Trimble SiteVision?
Trimble® SiteVision™ is a high accuracy augmented reality system that is ideal for use outdoors. A lightweight handheld positioning solution, SiteVision works with the Google® Play Services for AR technology or the Apple® ARKit® technology and enables you to interact with your spatial data in the context of the real world. You can visualize and measure positions using GNSS, Electronic Distance Measurement, LiDAR (supported devices only), and Augmented Reality technology as you explore the project site.
The SiteVision system includes:
- The SiteVision app, which is supported on user-supplied devices that are powered by either:
- iOS 13 and later, from iPhone® 6s and later, or iPad® (2017) and later, that is supported by the Apple ARKit technology
- Android™ operating system version 9.0 and later, that is supported by the Google AR technology
- Support for two types of Trimble Catalyst™ antenna connection:
- A Trimble Catalyst DA2 GNSS receiver that connects via Bluetooth. This is supported on Android and iOS devices.
- As part of the SiteVision Integrated Positioning System, the Trimble Catalyst DA1 antenna connects via USB. This is supported on Android devices only.
What do I need to get started with Trimble SiteVision?
Before you start you will need:
- A device that is either:
- Powered by Android 9.0 or later, that is supported by the Google AR technology
- Powered by iOS 13 and later, from the iPhone 6s and iPad (2017) onwards, that is supported by the Apple ARKit technology
- The app downloaded to the device
- A Trimble Identity to be able to log in to the app
- A current subscription
- A model to view. Alternatively, you can create a model in the field or use the sample model included when you install the app.
How do I set up my SiteVision software?
- Go to the Google Play Store or Apple App Store and search for Trimble SiteVision
- Download and install the app
- Run the Trimble SiteVision app on your device
- To get started, accept the End User License Agreement and then enter your Trimble ID username and password
Do I need any special hardware to use SiteVision?
Yes, SiteVision supports two types of Catalyst antenna connections:
- A Trimble Catalyst DA2 GNSS receiver that connects via Bluetooth, supported on both Android and iOS devices:
- The SiteVision Integrated Positioning System, which connects to the Catalyst DA1 antenna via USB. This is supported on Android devices only:
When using the Trimble Catalyst DA2 GNSS receiver, you will need a device that is powered by either iOS 13 or later (iPhone 6s or iPad 2017), or by Android operating system version 9.0 and later, that is supported by the Google AR technology. You will also require the following:
- 1x Pole
- 1x Device Clamp
- Trimble Catalyst DA2 GNSS receiver kit that includes:
- 1x Catalyst DA2 receiver
- 1x 5/8 x 11 pole cap
- 1x Battery pack mount strap
- 1x ANKER PowerCore 5000 Power Bank (5000mAH)
- 1x Sunshade attachment (optional)
When using the Trimble SiteVision Integrated Positioning System, you will need a device powered by the Android operating system version 9.0 and later, that is supported by the Google AR technology. Alongside, the Trimble SiteVision Integrated Positioning System contains the following hardware:
- 1 x Trimble SiteVision Integrated Positioning System
- 1 x USB C to USB C Cable
- 1 x Pole Mounting Bracket
- 1 x Sunshade Attachment
- 2 x Batteries
- 1 x Dual Battery Charger
- 1 x Charging Cable
- 1 x International Adaptor Kit
- 2 x Adhesive Phone Mounts
- 1 x Phone Mount Template
- 1 x Wrist strap
- 1 x Quick Start Guide
- 1 x Shoulder Strap for the Case
What is the Trimble SiteVision Integrated Positioning System?
The Trimble SiteVision Integrated Positioning system is the Trimble handheld device that integrates the Trimble Catalyst DA1 Antenna (high precision GNSS), with Electronic Distance Measurement (EDM) Laser Rangefinder, and power management.
The power management system provides power to the Trimble Catalyst DA1, the EDM, and your Android mobile phone running the SiteVision application.
How do I set up my SiteVision hardware?
You can follow the instructions in the Getting Started section of the User Guide for the Trimble SiteVision System.
What is Trimble Catalyst?
Trimble Catalyst is a revolutionary GNSS concept delivering positioning-as-a-service to Android and iOS devices. Trimble Catalyst technology is used by SiteVision to obtain high accuracy GNSS positions on your mobile device.
A Trimble SiteVision Universal AR Unlimited subscription includes a Trimble Catalyst for SiteVision Subscription, which includes the precision accuracy level for use with the SiteVision app, access to Trimble Corrections Hub, including Trimble VRS Now™ networks and Trimble RTX™ technology globally, and also supports GNSS corrections from other third party sources. To learn more about Trimble Catalyst, go to the Trimble Catalyst website.
What is GNSS?
GNSS stands for “Global Navigation Satellite System”, which consists of a network of orbiting satellites, ground control stations, and user receivers that allow you to know your location in the world with the push of a button. GPS is the most commonly referenced GNSS constellation; others include GLONASS and Galileo. Refer to the Trimble Catalyst site for more information on the GNSS capabilities.
What is Trimble Connect?
Trimble Connect is a cloud-based data management and collaboration platform that allows you to view, share, and access project information over the Internet from anywhere at any time. Trimble Connect stores the 2D and 3D models, prepared in your office software, that are to be viewed in SiteVision.
The subscription for Trimble Connect Business is included with your SiteVision subscription. If you have separate users who will only be doing data preparation, you can purchase separate standalone subscriptions for Trimble Connect.
To get started with Trimble Connect, go to the Trimble Connect website.